The design is based on a previous favor design by Violet Gray, based on a Pictish carving, is a mermaid modified from a Pictish carving now known as the “Meigle Mermaid”. To represent Caoilfhoinn’s 3rd reign, a trident was added by Anastasia da Monte. Culann mac Cianain and Caoilfhoinn together created this version, adding 2 loops to the mermaid’s tails to signify reign four.
Her Majesty encourages creativity in the creation of Her favors, and wishes for all to have fun with this project.
A two-tailed mermaid (a melusine), her tails are looped in knotwork style to create four loops. In her right hand is a trident.
- Background: Bright royal blue, similar to DMC 824
- Artwork: The design can be done in any of the following manners, at the discretion of the artist
- As an outline
- As a filled design
- White mermaid with Gold (DMC 3852 or metallic) trident
- “Natural” colors akin to green (DMC 702) tail, brown (DMC 300) hair, beige-pink (DMC 543) skin, with gold (DMC 3852 or metallic) trident
Embroidery (hand or machine), paint, applique, silkscreen, fabric stamping, metalwork, beadwork, leatherwork, or other techniques. Creativity is encouraged! Have fun!
Finished favor should be approximately 4” wide by 8” long including belt loop.
- Each favor can be constructed as a single layer of fabric or as a more sturdy fully-backed piece.
- Single layer: cut fabric to 5” by 12” and do a narrow rolled hem on all 4 sides
- Fully-backed favors:
- two 5” by 12” pieces stitched together, turned right-side out and the opening stitched shut
- one 10” by 12” piece, stitched down the long side into a tube, flattened, stitched across the bottom, turned right-side out, and the opening stitched shut
- Before adding the belt loop, the pieces should be approximately 4” wide by 11” long with finished edges
- Fold over about 3” and stitch down to make a belt loop
Mail to Martha bean ui Bhradaigh:
14 Kingston Avenue
Port Jervis, NY 12771
In-person delivery to Martha, handed to any of Caoilfhionn’s retainers, or dropped off at the Royal Room.
Please include a note with your SCA name, your modern name and mailing address with any favors you give.
Her Majesty greatly appreciates your help in creating Her favors – Thank You!
Printable Instructions – Word Doc, PDF Doc
Images – Solid, PNG; Solid, SVG vector;
Outline, PNG; Outline, SVG vector
Embroidery Machine Files – Zip file